Monday, September 3, 2012

1 Welcome...



       

        Welcome. Wow, I thought I was being so clever and original when naming this blog. Turns out there were like 50 others with the same idea. Sometimes it's better to blend in to do your business submerged in the murk like Sasquatch or Swamp Thing does, rather than stand out shitting in the streets like big dogs or Good Morning America doo. These blogs are numbered because they aren't necessarily published on the days they are written. Right now,  I'm watching "the Agony and the Ectasy" scanning it randomly for amusing Charlton Heston overacting footage (none forthcoming) while I work on bits and pieces of a magazine that (like this blog) no one will ever read. I don't care. I like being busy. I must monopolize every waking second before Hanzo and I hit the road east this fall. (Hanzo is my dog and he goes everywhere I go.)
         The trip is becoming more and more exciting everyday. I keep adding stops for journalistic reasons. I want to write a piece about Tim Richmond, the tragic hard partying, wild card, stock-car racer who's career was cut short by AIDS. Inspired by the ESPN 30 for 30 documentary about him, I am planning to go a little way out of my way to visit his hometown. Ashland OH is a place I would never otherwise visit. Hopefully, I can get some sense of who he was and write something that would be accurate, introduce him to those who may have been born to late to remember him, and that would be enjoyed by his fans and those who knew him best. 
         Just a quick shot north from there is Cleveland. I would like to go and see the rock and roll hall of fame and try some of their legendary, liver-fattening, food truck cuisine. Obviously these are just stops. The main attraction is meeting my niece for the first time ever and reuniting with my family in NY. The call to the roads strengthens hourly although it is still months away.
         I am also checking out Eric Powell's "The Goon" series. Really well-crafted. He does double-duty as both writer and illustrator and has volumes of work already completed. I feel like I've only scratched the surface of this series and can't wait to check more of it out. I especially enjoy that he includes funny fake commercials in his comics. Inspired. 
        There is some really creepy-ass catholic shit in this movie. At one point they make a row of alter boys kiss this old, ugly christ-doll. Yuck. Bad touch. Also, just for the record Michaelangelo was NOT a party dude. 'Nuff said.

UPDATE: Wrath of the Math - The road trip has been, regretfully, indefinitely postponed for largely financial reasons.

-2012 Wielgorecki
                                                       

No comments:

Post a Comment